Monday, June 6, 2011

"Who hath desired the sea? -- the sight of salt water unbounded..." Kipling

We had been at our favorite Gulf Coast haunt since Monday, and I had yet to pick up the camera. Just before 7:00 on Friday evening, I stepped out of my second story bedroom at Greenpeace cottage to snap a few pictures. I wanted a closeup of the oleander.


The lense fogged over, but I liked the effect.



Here are the same blossoms against our neighboring cottage once the lense was cleared.
...and its second story porch.

More cottages across the road...

Then I set off for the beach: out the front door, turn right, pass one cottage, step across Highway 30-A, a two-lane where all traffic stops for the beach bound pedestrians.
And as the sign says, just a few feet away...

The West Ruskin Pavilion where I stood to take the photo on the header.

Beauty to the left of me...

..and once on the pavilion...beauty to the right of me...
slightly marred with a yellow caution flag ...

and the last of the day's beach combers paddle around under a crescent of clouds...


...turn around, stroll back to our cottage...



...and to the peacefully suspended --slowed motion of Seaside.



(Click on any photo to enlarge; then click again for an even larger image)

6 comments:

Country Girl said...

I came immediately when I saw your post title, hoping that you would have photos of the sea and oh, you do. I love the header! I believe I would like this place.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

What a beautiful place to begin healing; God keep you and yours.

~T~ said...

How I miss warm beaches! That looks like a wonderful home away from home.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for visiting my blog - it is nice to know you have called around - I too was an English teacher but am now retired.
Fancy you coming to Thirsk to visit a friend - it is very close to where I live.
Do call again.

FireLight said...

Country Girl, weren't you just on the Gulf Coast? Or planning to be? I had recently found this poem by Kipling...it's a good one.
The light a 7:00 PM was so soft...not glaring.

Thistle Cove, I was with my dear friends who always a have a Golden Retriever, so I had the sea, sympathetic friends, and a Golden therapist. God is good.

~T~, it does indeed feel like a home because it is just one of those places that draws one back; it is a WARM place in many ways.

Weaver of Grass, I frequently visit your blog for my daily dose of THIS ENGLAND! That trip to Thirsk was in 1989. I brought my then 7 year old son, and we met Alf Wight. We stayed in the Three Tuns, and at Valley View Farm bed and breakfast (also served supper).
We met Mr. Bill Foggitt, good friend to Alf, and his dog Polly at the hotel on the morning of one of the horse races. We had tea by the fireplace, and he told me about his work as a weather predictor during the war. I absolutely loved the town! I do hope to visit there again...soon!

Rowan said...

This looks a lovely peaceful place to spend a holiday.

About Me

My photo
Recreational scholar, former high school and junior college English teacher. Animal lover (especially horses, dogs, and people), lives in the South, sometimes poet and essayist... "Ireland, Scotland, Britain, and Wales...I can hear those ancient voices calling..." Van Morrison from Celtic Heartbeat